Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Music of the Drums
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:20 pm 
In light of the upcoming jamboree, and my yearly rekindling of my love of ancient style drumming and all my old Jack Pratt music, I thought I'd post a portion of a recent find. I came upon a book, Drum Taps in Dixie by Delavan S. Miller, copyright 1905. Keep the copyright date in mind when you read the excerpt below (including the poem, "The Music of the Drums"). Miller began his time in the U.S. Army as a drummer boy at age 12 in 1861. The book is available for download through Google Books and is in the public domain. So far I have only read a little, and it is highly interesting and easy to read.

Enjoy!

Marshall Digmon

Excerpted verbatim from Drum Taps in Dixie, by Delavan S. Miller, copyright 1905.

"The Music of the Drums

Ringing with a siren’s song,
Throbbing with a country’s wrong,
Making patriots brave and strong,
Foes must die or yield.
Calling out the new-born day,
Marking each night’s gentle sway,
Ready whate’er comes.
Calls to duty, calls to play,
Calls to rest and calls for fray
Rolling, roaring all the day,
The Music of the Drums.

Fife and drum have been heard in every camp and upon all the battlefields of the world. And for a marching column there is nothing like martial music of the good old-fashioned kind, such as inspired the continental heroes at Lexington, Yorktown and Bunker Hill, and rallied the boys of ’61, and later led them through all the marches of the South.

Martial music seems to have gone out of fashion in these up-to-date days, and what little there is, is but a poor apology, with the bugle blats interjected between the rub-a-dub-dubs of the drummers who hardly know their a b c’s about snare drumming."