Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:07 am 

Does anyone know if this drum is still available anywhere besides ebay?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:39 am 

Exp88,

That's my new drum! I bought the last one. No one else can buy one. Mine! You can't have it!
Seriously, there may be a store somewhere that has one boxed up on a shelf in a back room.
I ordered one to look at where I taught before retiring and decided not to go with a full line of
them, but later on I went back to see if the store still had the drum and they did! So I bought
it and I love it. It sounds great and is very portable. Fork's Drum Closet in Nashville had a silver
one on sale recently on their web site. It was used only a few months at a local high school.
I actually played it yesterday when my wife and son were running errands and the cats even
loved it! Our younger cat was skeptical at first as he meowed, " Hey daddy-o. That shrunken
drum can't sound as good as the 14 inch can it?" Later he added," I love that sound man. Now
give me some food and stop that racket! I need a nap!"

Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:14 pm 

That's hilarious! I'll have to check that out. I've always wanted one of those snares. I didn't know they were discontinued-hate it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 pm 

Well I finally found one on ebay for a good price. I was the only bidder, which surprised me. Waiting for it to come in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 am 

I have one that is a conversion. About two years ago, I bought a beat up 13x11 for about 100 on eBay. When it came in it was more beat up than I thought--like it had been run over by a truck; the pictures didn't show the extent of the damage, but I was up for a challenge. Both strainer and butt mounting plates were pushed in and the lug tubes were nearly all bent or broken. I ordered the 13x9 size tubes that shipped directly from Pearl from China, which took about 3 months; I think they had to do a special run to make then since the drum was discontinued. I cut the shell down two inches and recovered it. Using a bench vise and a large crescent wrench, I straightened the strainer and butt mounting plates. I used rouge and drill additions to polish/refinish the batter and snare hoops and the reinforcing ring. Now it looks great! It has a Powerstroke 77 batter head and double hooped Ludwig x-thin snare side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am 

Exp88 wrote:
Well I finally found one on ebay for a good price. I was the only bidder, which surprised me. Waiting for it to come in.

Hey Keith,

I sold mine on Craigslist when we lived in Nashville. Is your drum black? Where is it shipping from?

Funny if it ended up being the same exact drum.

You'll love the drum I'm sure. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:02 am 

It came from Vandalia, OH and it is black. I remember when you were selling yours. I badly wanted to buy it from you but didn't have the money to spare then if I remember correctly. When I looked at the pics on Ebay, it had a black head, which I thought was a Black Max or some other kevlar head but it ended up being an Evans Black Chrome, which I think is a drumset head and it had a piece of paper towel taped to the bottom. I quickly changed it temporarily to a Pearl CC that belonged to the hs where I am the assistant. I still like those Pearl heads after all these years. I have a White Max ordered, which should be in tomorrow. I would have preferred a Black Max just for the color but there's a store on Ebay selling White Max really cheap. They also have a Tendura, which I thought about but don't have much experience with one.

Last edited by Exp88 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 am 

jmdigmon wrote:
I have one that is a conversion. About two years ago, I bought a beat up 13x11 for about 100 on eBay. When it came in it was more beat up than I thought--like it had been run over by a truck; the pictures didn't show the extent of the damage, but I was up for a challenge. Both strainer and butt mounting plates were pushed in and the lug tubes were nearly all bent or broken. I ordered the 13x9 size tubes that shipped directly from Pearl from China, which took about 3 months; I think they had to do a special run to make then since the drum was discontinued. I cut the shell down two inches and recovered it. Using a bench vise and a large crescent wrench, I straightened the strainer and butt mounting plates. I used rouge and drill additions to polish/refinish the batter and snare hoops and the reinforcing ring. Now it looks great! It has a Powerstroke 77 batter head and double hooped Ludwig x-thin snare side.

I'm surprised Pearl was willing to get you the parts to fix it. Do you have any pics?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 am 

Here are a couple photos. I removed the branding on the head with acetone, so the Powerstroke 77 label isn't there.

Attachments:
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG [ 101.17 KiB | Viewed 1420 times ]
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG [ 105.52 KiB | Viewed 1420 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 pm 

Nice! I have that cx carrier attachment on my bigger marching snare and plan on getting it for the articulite. I did find out that the bearing edge has a bunch of grooves, which I'm not happy about. I wonder if someone put that Evans hybrid bottom head that I've heard so many bad stories about on it. It came with a mylar Evans bottom head and I've cranked it up substantially and so far it's holding. I figure that if a mylar doesn't break, surely a falam or mx5 won't either but I still would like to get the bearing edge smoothed back out. Any idea who does that kind of work?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 am 

You can always try to smooth out the edge yourself if you're daring! I repaired an edge on a drum that I know will never serve anyone else, so I was not concerned with complete accuracy.

Precision Drum in NY does repairs. Their website is below. I have ordered new shells from Drummaker in Nashville before, and that shop will cut edges, so I imagine he might do repairs.

http://precisiondrum.com

http://www.drummaker.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:54 am 

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 pm 

Well I took your advice Marshall, and decided to try my hand at sanding out the little indentions and to my surprise, they came out after only a few minutes of relatively light sanding. I had just gotten a falam snare side head and after putting it on, was very happy with the results. I'll have to do a video comparison with it and my older Pearl, the kind that's free floating but has the strainer on the shell instead of the rods. It has an Evans hybrid on the top and a falam on the bottom. I also have parts of an old Ludwig Challenger, Yamaha snare (whatever they called them in the 80s) and a Slingerland tdr. I hope one day to restore all of them and have the first set of snares arranged as quints! On a rack of course. Not gonna do that to my back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm 

Sound like a good deal, Keith. I guess that head with the mesh didn't do much damage overall. Glad you were able to make it work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 pm 

Thanks, now I just have to find a place to play it so my neighbors won't try to evict me.