Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 am 

Hi, I'm learning rudimental drumming just as a hobby and currently play on the hard side of my Vic Firth practice pad.
I want to buy a snare drum, but with living in Spain I would have to buy off the internet and I'm very limited in choice since high tension snare drums aren't sold much in Europe, certainly not in any shop.
Question is, do I need a high tension snare drum?
Will a semi-decent standard snare drum suffice? Or will I quickly become disappointed with it?

Thanks
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:52 pm 

Hi Martin. No, it's not mandatory to play on, or own, a high-tension snare drum to become a proficient rudimental drummer. If you're in the market for a drum to play on, buy the best you can afford without going into debt. Because this genre of drumming requires heavy sticks for outside volume, it is most important to use the correct drumheads to accommodate these sticks. Viewing online videos along with a couple of method books, should point you in the right direction toward your goal - another method of learning is to take live lessons from an accomplished drummer via Skype. I wish you the best - proper technique is key.

Eddie

USMC Drum & Bugle Corps ('69-'70)
"The Commandant's Own"
Washington, DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:11 am 

Martin,

I would think about where you live and where you could actually use the drum. I asked the same question some time ago and bought a
marching snare drum. Well, I ended up selling it because I found that I did not actually use the drum. When I teach drum camps I almost
always use a school drum or a hard surfaced practice pad. I found that by living in the city in rather close quarters with my neighbors I
could really never play on the snare drum because of the noise factor. If you find that you can play on a drum without your neighbors
calling the cops, look into a Pearl FFX if available. Very durable and time tested. Most are under $400 on Ebay. You might also try an
older model Ludwig or Slingerland snare drum with double ply heads. You might also look into a Xymox reserve corps snare sound pad.
(around $110).

Keep us posted on what you decide.