Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 am 

Users,

For the past 6 or so months I log in every morning and check to see if there are spam posts, and if so, remove them and the spam users. Sometimes there are none, but most days I spend about 20 minutes removing 3-5 spam posts and anywhere between 3-10 spam users who managed to register.
You never see this because all new posts from first time registered users have to be approved by a moderator.
So, I finally took some time to research how to implement google's recaptcha anti-spam protection. This will definitely save me 20 minutes every day if it works as expected.

I would like a few members to test it for me by registering for a new acct. I would like feedback as to whether you think the recaptcha images are too difficult to read, and if there are no hiccups in the register process. I've tested it, but I need more members from different locations (IPs) testing to ensure it works as described.

If no problems registering, let me know the new member name(s) you have created and I'll remove them.

Thanks,
(Yes I'm Still Alive) Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 am 

Thanks to the members who tested the recaptcha registering. I should have done a little bit more research, because this version of the forum (3.0.12) only supports a version of google's recaptcha that has been cracked. I had a few spammers register last night, and one even attempted to post.

So...until I can get this forum upgraded to the latest and greatest, which supports the newer google recaptcha, that has not been cracked, I've reconfigured the registration anti-spam to be a Q&A. Research reveals a Q&A captcha is the most effective way to prevent spam, but only if the questions are something legitimate users will know. Easy questions like "What color is the sky?" or "What does 1+1 equal?" are easily cracked. Hopefully, this will prevent spam-bots, while not discouraging new legitimate members from registering.