Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:48 am 

I found this recently. This was the very first show I attended as a high school junior. Our band director loaded up a few
of us in his car and we drove to Atlanta. As I remember it, the top twelve competed that night. (or close to it). And I
have a vague memory of the Tonight Show Band playing before the show. (??) Lots of money available at that time for
the new corps and the show in general. This stadium has long been demolished but man what memories.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:21 am 

Nice Dennis.

Who besides Scotty that was in this line that you marched with in 1980? I know Lawless started out on tymps, but I think it was with Float?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 am 

Skip Campbell wrote:
Nice Dennis.

Who besides Scotty that was in this line that you marched with in 1980? I know Lawless started out on tymps, but I think it was with Float?

I know John and Scott were both charter members but there may have been more. Not sure. Paul Milano could probably come closer to
knowing names of charter members who also marched in 1980. I know there was an influx from outside the Atlanta area when I marched
as a result of the corps' success. The influx may have actually started in '79. Not sure.

Funny story-nothing to do with your question or your post. We were practicing in Canada somewhere and this guy pulled up on a bicycle.
Tom went over and they started talking. Turns out this guy marched snare for Oakland Crusaders under Tom and he asked him if he'd like
to join the line.(this was early season I think). Guess Tom wanted 12 snares and this guy already had the style down and all. He didn't join
but I thought that was cool. Funny how you remember little insignificant things like that over time.

I bought a record (black vinyl) at the show above and wore it out trying to figure out what these guys were playing. I remember it having
the 1976 Blue Devils on it with Guardsmen, Freelancers and one more corps. Can't remember? The cover had the little Blue Devil cartoon
guy on it and the back had a description of each of the top 12 from that year. I'm sure I still have it somewhere.(but nothing to play it on!)