Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:24 pm 

Just wondering how many of you, when you were in drum corps or college lines, played along the snare track when playing at the edge. I don't remember seeing it before around 10-15 years ago, but everybody does it now. I can understand why they do it, since it produces more snare response, but what I cannot understand is why they don't set up the drums so that the throwoff is in the very back, which would make the snare track at the very front, instead of to the right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:20 pm 

I never did it and generally found it better just to move straight to the edge as it at least kept the beads directly in front of the body. Moving to the angle along the snares altered the approach to the drum too much to offset the negligible gains in snare response on hi tension heads.

With the placement of the drums on carriers, there really is no need to have the strainer offset other than to have the ability to turn the snares off. But, when was the last time any line turned the snares off in a show? I imagine people do it, but I never did and never wrote for the snares to be off. When the drums were on slings, having the snares offset made sense as the drummer needed to accommodate leg rest placement. With the ability to make the strainer smaller (like Pearl did on its most recent redesign a year or so ago), there is no reason to not place the snare directly front to back. Modern carrier brackets can accommodate this simply by placing them directly above the strainer. I imagine one would then need to see to what degree the strainer will interfere with marching.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:20 pm 

I agree, and I noticed when watching a video of SCV's full show from one of the perspective of a snare drummer wearing a cam, that he never went offset, but always played straight in front when playing at the edge. I figured that if it's good enough for the DCI high drum champs, then it's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:28 am 

Try to lower the song volume in functon. I think its orginal 100-120 but try 80 . Then tou can hear you self playing