Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:02 pm 

Let them serenade you with endless crescendos/decrescendos and dance moves. I'm sure this stuff sounds good with the wind book....but this looks like the least fun you could possibly have playing in a DCI line.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:45 pm 

"Dynamics aren't fun." LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:47 am 

jtosch who are you quoting? Did you say that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:37 am 

You may have struck a nerve Nate. Jeremy marched Blue Knights I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 pm 

I must admit that I don't get the dance moves, aka body movement either. It would be different if they were doing something hard, but they're not. It looks like high school moves thrown in with great playing and great drill. Makes no sense at all to me. If they want to do something impressive besides just playing and marching, they need to come up with something much more creative. And it's not just BK, and it's not just percussion sections. It's every section of musicians in every single DCI corps. I really hope that it will eventually go away, since it completely lacks any substance. Like I commented on a youtube video of a super-impressive clip of Crown's hornline, it's like having a 5-star meal, and throwing in a can of tuna for no reason at all, except to add something, whether it improves the meal or not!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:37 am 

Exp88 wrote:
I must admit that I don't get the dance moves, aka body movement either. It would be different if they were doing something hard, but they're not. It looks like high school moves thrown in with great playing and great drill. Makes no sense at all to me. If they want to do something impressive besides just playing and marching, they need to come up with something much more creative. And it's not just BK, and it's not just percussion sections. It's every section of musicians in every single DCI corps. I really hope that it will eventually go away, since it completely lacks any substance. Like I commented on a youtube video of a super-impressive clip of Crown's hornline, it's like having a 5-star meal, and throwing in a can of tuna for no reason at all, except to add something, whether it improves the meal or not!

You know what's nice, though? DCI percussion judges ARE giving credit to playing over "performing". SCV is a perfect example. Very little body movement, and certainly no "prancing" movements. Cadets usually as well. When BD does body movements, it's usually something difficult in addition to challenging notes! This WGI movement that groups like the Blue Knights are doing isn't helping their scores.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:43 am 

And I guess if the Blue Knights were playing a book that could actually be competitive, the body movements wouldn't be a big deal. But the body movements seem to be more important.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:32 pm 

One of my favorite lines last year was SoA. Also very little body movement, and I liked their book.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:51 pm 

And I'm glad to hear that the judges are scoring that way. Maybe body movement will work its way out. I still wonder how it started. I keep thinking that some corps somewhere really liked Biff, their guard instructor so much, that they thought he could add something to every section of the corps. So despite the protests from the brass and percussion staffs (or maybe I should say staves), Biff brought his choreography expertise to those sections, and DCI being the copycat league that it is now, every corps followed suit. That's how I have it worked out in my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 am 

I can still remember when Ralph Pace was working drill with the drum line at Spirit during the spring of 1980 and he had this idea of
highlighting something going on elsewhere on the field at the time. He wanted the snare line to point to the left with sticks in hand
to show the audience where to look or to simply emphasize the move. Well, that didn't flush with Float. He was actually on the field
with us at the time. I remember him uttering some kind of expletive (as he usually did) and the visual was out 5 minutes later.

I can't imagine any interpretive moves making the cut back then. And don't get me started on some of the uniforms making it on the
scene now. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:24 pm 

These guys look like they are having a lot of fun drumming.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:43 pm 

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:
I can still remember when Ralph Pace was working drill with the drum line at Spirit during the spring of 1980 and he had this idea of
highlighting something going on elsewhere on the field at the time. He wanted the snare line to point to the left with sticks in hand
to show the audience where to look or to simply emphasize the move. Well, that didn't flush with Float. He was actually on the field
with us at the time. I remember him uttering some kind of expletive (as he usually did) and the visual was out 5 minutes later.

I can't imagine any interpretive moves making the cut back then. And don't get me started on some of the uniforms making it on the
scene now. :oops:

:lol: I think you're right. I definitely don't think that stuff would have been accepted back then, especially with Float. I could always count on his BD lines, and I'm sure SOA too, to never have anything dorky looking, and for all the visuals to be the best. To this day, my favorite visual of all time is the diamonds that the snares did in 86. I cant' lie-the older I get, the more I miss many, many things about those times. I guess I'm fair game to be labeled an oldie.

Last edited by Exp88 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:45 pm 

I like this SCV clip very much. Good playing, not much dancing, and I like the fact that they still bring their sticks in, instead of down, as many lines have started doing. I still teach my lines to do that. I just don't want to change things that have worked fine just for the sake of change. I think we've had enough change lately lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:57 pm 

I HATE body movement! I call it doing the hokey pokey, you know that is what it is all about. I think it is all about the movie drumline, I guess some visual guys saw it and thought, that is what we need to do.

The Blue Knights are a fine drumline, their style reminds me of the first style I learned (with tighter diddles of course), I just can't stand all of that body movement.

I'm reminded of a time when I marched when some VERY mild body movement was proposed and a comment from one of the snare vets was "now look like a drummer and do that". Words to live by.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:43 pm 

Skip Campbell wrote:
I'm reminded of a time when I marched when some VERY mild body movement was proposed and a comment from one of the snare vets was "now look like a drummer and do that". Words to live by.

It looks feminine to me. When I first discovered drum corps in the mid 80s, I thought the drumlines were the coolest thing ever, especially BD. But now, the 'cool' factor has been so greatly diminished because of moves that no self-respecting man has any business doing. I know there are plenty of girls in drumlines now, but the percentage is still extremely low compared to the guys. And it seems like no corps has the guts to do something different, or to NOT do something everyone else is doing. I wish a drum corps would decide to break away from the norm, and do something so radically different, regardless of what their scores would be, just to get out of this rut that DCI, WGI, and BOA are all collectively in. But anyway, it's all just my opinion, of course, but I refer back to my earlier post about Biff.