Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rob Carson video
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12 am 

The video that's posted on the site here of Rob Carson... The one of him playing with SCV... It appears that he was using sticks that had a taper, but no tip. I saw where ProMark made a stick similar to what I'm talking about, but I can no longer find them. Does anyone know if this type of stick is still made and available? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Rob Carson video
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:43 am 

Promark DC-10's? I looked on Amazon and they're still available there from Promark (D'Addario). Must be old stock since they're discontinued.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:49 pm 

I think the Pro Mark model you are talking about has been discontinued. I bought a pair about 6 years ago just to see what they were like. I remember them feeling very fast, but I can't imagine ever wanting to use them in a drumline setting (although that's what they are for). I don't remember exactly what I didn't like about them but I think it was a control issue. They also broke almost immediately from me clicking with them. I was bummed they broke because they were kind of fun to play with.

I THINK they were marketed as a Matt Savage signature stick to be used for matched grip.

I don't know if that's the same kind SCV used.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:44 pm 

I think they were called DC-10s. I used to have a few pairs back around 85-86 when I first started learning how to play. From what I remember they were kind of short....they weren't elongated to compensate for the lack of bead, but then again my memory is a little fuzzy since it's been so long that I've seen a pair.

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:14 pm 

HolySnre wrote:
I think they were called DC-10s. I used to have a few pairs back around 85-86 when I first started learning how to play. From what I remember they were kind of short....they weren't elongated to compensate for the lack of bead, but then again my memory is a little fuzzy since it's been so long that I've seen a pair.
Adam

Yep, the DC-10's were actually Rob Carson sticks, had his name on them. And they were short, I did not like using them with matched grip or solo playing, but not bad with traditional grip line playing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:14 pm 

I have a couple of pairs and our local music store has a bundle of them available. Pro Mark made a longer
version called the DC-17. Blue Stars and SCV used them (DC-10s). Not sure if anyone else used them or not.
Rick- didn't 27 use them too? We also used them at Auburn for a year because 2 snares marched Blue Stars
in 1978. They were good for bashing cymbals at the end of a song or riding. No tips=no breakage. I kind of
remember having to pump the arms too much during rolls. We stopped using them the next year, since the
Spirit influence started with us in 1979. (Slingerland full length sticks).

I had my guys buy them when I taught public school (B.R. "before retirement") so we could use them to play on
50 gallon drums during the drum feature. Again, no breakage. I would like to get my hands on a few pairs of
DC-17s. Funny how you have so many sticks and then you turn around and they're gone. What happened to this
pair and what happened to that pair?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:04 am 

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:
Rick- didn't 27 use them too?

I think so, but I used the Carl Rauco stick, which was beadless like the dc-10's but thicker and heavier, made from densiwood. I still have those sticks.

Funny thing about the name dc-10's, I used to say "As defective as the plane". There was a commercial aircraft also named DC-10. During the late 70's or early 80's a few of them crashed, raising concerns about the manufacturing of that particular jet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 am 

Float made us cut our beads off and we sanded down the edges to create a full length beadless stick.
He wanted to see how they sounded. Well, he didn't like the sound so we ruined 11 perfectly good
pairs of sticks! :x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 am 

There's also the Promark DC-9, also discontinued.