"Me too. I'm super-masculine."

"I'm with you guys! We're all super-masculine together."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:57 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:34 pm 

jtoschbk wrote:
"Anything feminine makes me uncomfortable."

"Me too. I'm super-masculine."

"I'm with you guys! We're all super-masculine together."

No one said these things. Once again you are having a hard time defending the Blue Knights choosing to prance around instead of attempting a highly competitive book.

You also clearly admit that you agree that it is very feminine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:12 pm 

This group plays very well with way less body work. That book looks and sounds FUN. I don't see how someone could prefer the Blue Knights style to this, but to each his own I suppose. I know the Cadets are probably doing the hardest drill out there, but they are still playing a very difficult book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:38 am 

Sure. Well, the Cadets line is just plain better than BK's. As is SCV's line. The Blue Knights played a book that was well-matched to their skill level and were rewarded with a 6th-place finish. For an example of a line that played material above their heads, see the Cavaliers. Their scores could have benefited from some hosing. I'd hate to cut those parts, though. They're beautiful parts...if you don't mind the dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:07 pm 

jtoschbk wrote:
Sure. Well, the Cadets line is just plain better than BK's. As is SCV's line. The Blue Knights played a book that was well-matched to their skill level and were rewarded with a 6th-place finish. For an example of a line that played material above their heads, see the Cavaliers. Their scores could have benefited from some hosing. I'd hate to cut those parts, though. They're beautiful parts...if you don't mind the dirt.

This line of thinking, I believe, is exactly what Ken Mazur and others (myself included....i think) feel like is ruining the competition aspect of the activity.

The Blue Knights have been around for 40 years. How long is it going to take for them to compete with the best? The kids just don't have a high enough skill level, you say? The instructors are good, the book is cool, the teaching is great....the kids just aren't good enough. Not the designers fault --- the kids. That is BS.

You'd think that the instructors at BK would be more focused on raising their kids' skill level rather than hiding it with a bunch of grooves and body movement. Then people want to tell me that I just don't appreciate their dynamic depth and musicality. So which is it? Is this book good and musically sound and would be played no matter what their skill level? Or are they only playing this type of a book because their kids aren't "skilled" enough.

"We can't play as hard of music as the Cadets so let's just focus on doing other things well." That's not going to help your group grow.

The BK kids are selling it. They are doing what is asked of them. They are playing their book very well, no doubt. Those kids have skill. If you look at just this year alone, it really seems like I'm being ridiculous in my criticism. But if you account that the Blue Knights have been at this for 4 decades.....is this just ok that they are never going to be more than a feeder corps to other groups?

"Hey, the book is great, the kids just aren't skilled enough". My God.

What BK's kids play doesn't look fun. What BD plays looks fun. It matters. If it didn't, kids wouldn't be leaving BK to go to other places.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:00 pm 

Competition between the top 12 corps is hotter than it has ever been – it's never before been the case that #12 could easily be mistaken for #1 by a layman, but it's been true the past couple of years. Right in the thick of that are the Blue Knights at #6.

Books in general are getting harder and more rudimental, not the other way around, and the level of achievement is getting higher. The BK drumline is right in the thick of that as well at #6.

This is an exciting time for BK. They've established a distinctive style, earned their way into some very exclusive conversations, and are going to be attracting talented players and marchers who are making BK their FIRST stop rather than their second or third. The next few years will tell if BK can take advantage of this opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:41 pm 

Jtosch that sounds like it was written by a member of the Cleveland Browns public relations team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:25 am 

12th Place- Crossmen

1st Place Blue Devils

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:17 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 pm 

RIGHT IN THE THICK OF IT!!!! They just got a style all of their own. I don't understand why kids aren't lining up to be a part of BK?!?!

One thing we know for sure -- it's not the design team's fault! No need to change any of that. These kids just need to go get more skills! Practice notes on your own time, kids, we got to work on our dancing during rehearsals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:27 pm 

Look how much they've evolved since 2012! Back then, their dancing was very raw and street-oriented, but now it's PURE GRACE! You can definitely see how this winter program is helping their drum corps.

What I don't understand is how a fantastic design like this doesn't even make finals??? This is WGI! This is where the body movements are so necessary! Looks like BK is once again held back by the kids. I'm starting to feel bad for this stellar design team. GO BROWNS!!!