Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triple Stroke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:27 am 

Here's another one from my archives: Triple strokes. There is a check pattern on the lower staff to help with fitting it all together. Bonus points if you know from what (old) TV show/episode the title is based on! Please excuse the small print. Just hit CTRL++, or however many +es you need to see it better.

Adam

Post subject: Re: Triple Stroke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:44 pm 

That's pretty cool. Not hard as far as chops go, but quite difficult to keep it in time. It's a cool idea to play upbeat triple strokes instead of just 8th notes, like in a 16-8-8-8-16 patters. I may have to use this idea. Got to be based on Star Trek's "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode, on of my favorites!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:08 am 

My H.S. instructor toyed around with off-beat 24th notes back in the late 80s, and it's kind of stuck with me ever since. He wrote a really nice cadence (never played by any H.S. line to the best of my knowledge) that incorporated this idea, using single-stroke 24ths with accents instead of triple-strokes. I have the cadence in a box around here somewhere, and I'll post one or two snare measures as an example if I find it, provided that I am not crossing any ethical boundaries by doing so.

The first time I've seen the idea in actual use was in the Cadets' Flam Thing '92 (by Mike Stevens, I think).

Definitely the toughest part (for me) about playing off-beat 24ths is to stretch them out a little bit, not to rush them, and also to give full value to the single 16th notes either preceding or following the 24ths. I tend to want to shorten their value a bit. The check pattern underneath helps out, especially if you have another person play the check while you play the triples.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:10 am 

Oh yeah....you're right, by the way. The title is based on the Star Trek episode "Trouble with Tribbles."