Rudimental Drumming

The Rudimental Drumming Message Board
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Drum
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:38 pm 

So I needed a snare drum for my kit that would closely reproduce the sound of the 60's and 70's since I joined a local band
that plays music from that era. So lo and behold after doing a little research I found the most recorded drum in music history
to be the Ludwig Acrolite. ( in it's many forms- from the Supra to the Blackrolite ). I found a mint condition black galaxy
finish Ludwig Acrolite on Craigslist in Ft. Mill, South Carolina. So $125 later I own the drum. I'm sure many of us at one time
or another owned a drum similar to this as we started band in school. I found a great history of the drum, which I pasted below
the pictures just in case we have history buffs among us. So here it is: ( original stand and case included )

I'm using this for the first time at my first gig with the band on the beach tomorrow night. We're playing a corporate gig
for some kind of convention behind a hotel on the beach. I'll try and get a few clips if possible.

History of the Acrolite from Drummer World forum:

SCROLL DOWN NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD FOR HISTORY CLASS!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/show ... 000&page=8

Post subject: Re: New Drum
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:36 am 

Nice snare. I wish I could be there, not just to see a good friend, but beach time is always a premium 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 am 

Exp88 wrote:
Nice snare. I wish I could be there, not just to see a good friend, but beach time is always a premium 8)

Me too Keith. If you have a change of plans, we'll be playing from 6 pm- 9 pm behind the Hampton Inn.
Bring a cowbell and maybe they'll let you play. Ha!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:02 am 

Nice snare. I can't say that I was lucky enough to have a decent drum when I first started playing. I had a student model (can't remember the brand) found in a pawn shop, but at least it had an ugly sky blue carrying case. Next time I visit my parents I'll have to go up in their attic and see if it's still there. It might actually be better than any of the student models you can find today.

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:38 pm 

Spirit Snare 80 wrote:
Me too Keith. If you have a change of plans, we'll be playing from 6 pm- 9 pm behind the Hampton Inn.
Bring a cowbell and maybe they'll let you play. Ha!

:lol: I can play a mean rudimental cowbell!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:59 pm 

HolySnre wrote:
Nice snare. I can't say that I was lucky enough to have a decent drum when I first started playing. I had a student model (can't remember the brand) found in a pawn shop, but at least it had an ugly sky blue carrying case. Next time I visit my parents I'll have to go up in their attic and see if it's still there. It might actually be better than any of the student models you can find today.

Adam

My first drum was a Sears & Roebuck $40 special. I wanted bongos for Christmas, but the store was out, so my parents bought me this
shiny silver looking thing with wires attached to the bottom. What is this? I actually kept that drum until last year. I don't think it was
worth anything actually. Not a "vintage" find at all. Just an old inexpensive drum. I moved up in the world when my parents bought me
a Ludwig Supraphonic in the 10th grade. Great drum and still an industry standard for sound. Got lost in the shuffle several years ago
when I moved from one school to another. I may have traded it or something. I really can't remember, but I wish I still had that drum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:36 pm 

Exp88 wrote:

Keith,

The weather was fine. Lots of rolling waves and sand. Nice place. We arrived for a sound check at 4:30 pm, but the sound
company was still doing what they do, so we rested a bit and then played a tune or two. Glad I brought my own snare drum.
House sets are always a gamble, but it was an okay sounding red Pearl kit with Sabian AAX cymbals. The hi-hat was very
crisp. I would buy Sabian AAX cymbals after that experience. Played for 3 hours with a couple of breaks thrown in. The catering
company brought out this 4 foot long whole pig to eat. Not a fan of pork anymore, so I opted out. The tiki torches were lit
around 8:30 pm and then this "lady", and I use the term loosely, thought it would be a good idea to try her hand at singing
lead with the band. Where's security when you need 'em! Ha! Nice part of the state. You live in a great area Keith. We'll be back.